On Tuesday afternoon we decided to pay a long overdue visit to a local attraction. Since our son visited the Luxlait Vitarium on a school trip, he has been encouraging us to visit together. Visiting a milk museum may not sound very exciting, but it really exceeded our expectations. We were not ready to leave at 6pm.
Located about 30 km north of Luxembourg city, it takes 25 minutes to reach the Luxlait Vitarium in Roost. Coming from the south on N7, you’ll see the building on your left. There is plenty of parking available.
When Luxlait closed its old manufacturing site in Luxembourg-Merl a few years ago, they moved to this new state- of- the- art site in the countryside near Mersch. The Vitarium is a pretty cool building adjacent to the factory. Outside the museum is a small playground.
I read that the tours were every hour, so we did not book one. When we arrived a tour had just started but we were lucky to have a guide for just us 4 right after. There are lockers so you don’t have to carry your stuff around while visiting the plant. Also make sure to use the bathroom before starting the visit as it can take up to 1.5 hours.
Luxlait Vitarium – Welcome to the world of milk
The tour starts with a 3D video. You are introduced to the lab supervisor and a little boy called Michel. Together with the tour guide, they take you around the factory and explain the production process from the farm to the supermarket.
After the visit you can sample a Luxlait dairy product (included in the ticket price). You can choose between a yogurt or a milkshake.
After the tasting you can hang around at the different interactive stations (45) and learn more about milk.
Know before you go:
• Book a tour in advance to make sure you get the timing and language you want (English, French, German and Luxembourgish are available)
• Go during the week so you see the machines working (ticket prices are a little bit cheaper during the weekend but you won’t see the production. And that’s the interesting part of the visit)
• Pictures are not permitted inside the production site
• Take 1 or 2 euro coins for the locker
• The whole tour is stroller friendly
• Open 7/7 from 9am to 6pm (last tour starts at 5pm)
• Kids under 6 are free
• Restaurant Luxlounge on the first floor
Have fun and let us know about your visit to the Luxlait Vitarium!
Where to find the Luxlait Vitarium?
Phone: +352 250 280 222